The answer for this one is, it depends. There are a few factors that we need to take into account. The very first thing I want to point out is that you do not have to fast to lose weight. Here are the main reasons I find that intermittent fasting is important as well as the reason I might not recommend someone fast.
What are the Main Benefits of Intermittent Fasting
- You reduce your eating window so you don’t have to worry about prepping as much food.
- You get one less meal a day which can help you be more productive, since you aew not taking as much time to eat.
- If you get lethargic after a meal, you’ll have less meals and have to worry about this as often.
- Might slow down aging by autophagy, which is cleaning up damaged cells.
- Improve energy levels because you have a longer window of the day when your body isn’t digesting food.
Who Shouldn’t Fast
- Someone who loves breakfast.
- Someone who has health issues that necessitate eating at regular intervals.
- Anyone who has issues with restrictive eating as this could lead to more issues with that.
- Someone who doesn’t do well with hunger and has a tendency to binge when hungry.
What Do We Recomend For A Fasting Schedule
- I find 16 hrs of fasting and an 8 hour eating window to have the best benefit. It allows people to have enough time to eat 2 meals but enough time in the fasting window that they don’t need to eat 3 meals.
- This could be done a few different ways.
- Eat your first meal at 12p and last meal at 8p.
- Eat your first meal at 8a and last at 4p.
- Whatever time you first eat for the day, then you stop eating 8hrs after that.
Call To Action
- You don’t need to fast to lose weight, it could help but not significantly.
- If it fits your schedule and makes it easier for you to stick to your diet then it can be a great tool.
- Intermittent fasting is not for everyone, and if it doesn’t work for you, that’s okay.